Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Will take verbal abuse for change"

In packing away things and preparing things for graduation and moving on to the next chapter of life; I found this article in my journal that I wrote and this I want to share with you all.

July 25, 2010

The stanger sat there with a cardboard sign labelled, "Will take verbal abuse for change". Seated on Queen street downtown Toronto, I walked past him in my own quest for a Hot Dog after a wonderful service at Grace Toronto on 41 Britain... I saw him, but paid no attention until 5 steps past him the Holy Spirit spoke to.

"Read the sign he held" said my conscience... "Will take verbal abuse for change..." after grabbing a hot dog for him (I only had enough money for one) and giving whatever change was left from the bun and dog, we went back to the stand to get some condiments, meanwhile I got to ask him why he had the sign... He says, "it gives good money and it makes people laugh." I couldn't laugh. Right after he said that the ketchup sprayed all over his freshly washed white shirt. He cursed and swore; he had done laundry that day and it would be weeks he said until the next time he could wash.

That conversation got me thinking... So this is a glimpse of the brokenness in our world. Loss of hope, taking verbal abuse for spare change. All the while we know that God offers people words of sweet comfort and love.

I wish I sat longer with the guy to get to know him more to share the beauty and majesty and abundant wealth that is to gain Christ; for nothing else matters if we have Christ. I did get to tell him that Chirst loves him and that God wants him, but in the end, he might think that it was just another foreign form of "listening to something to get change". I pray not, I hope these were not empty words.

I'm done with empty Christianity talk; all talk but no walk... It's time for people to stop receiving verbal abuse for loonies and toonies. Rather, we should give them an ear full of the glorious Gospel message - in hopes that they might receive Jesus who exceeds any number following any $ sign.

I'm done. Are you done yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment