Saturday, October 29, 2011

Beautiful feet - A reflection by Johnny


At CCF this past Friday, we had our first "evangelism night" of the year. Half the group stayed on campus while the other half went downtown, and for many of us, it was probably the first time evangelizing to strangers. I myself was part of the campus group, and I must say, it was quite nerve-wracking! As a froshie, the only experience I've ever had with sharing the gospel was with my high school friends, classmates, and the kids at VBS. In fact, I felt that it was easier to talk to my friends about God because I knew that THEY knew that I was a Christian. However, I think that it's definitely important to share and live out the gospel WHEREVER God puts us, whether that be in our circle of friends or in an environment of strangers. After all, look at what Paul says in Romans:  

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” -Romans 10:14-15

So, after walking to the Mac hospital, we went up to 2nd floor, where our group leader started to talk a lady sitting on a bench. Meanwhile, the rest of us sat back...waited...prayed...peeked around the corner awkwardly...waited some more...Finally, God gave some of us the courage and the "nudge" to go and talk to a young lady who had been sitting near us the entire time. I have to admit, I was pretty scared at first (for no good reason...). However, after introducing ourselves and chatting for a bit, the Spirit seemed to just take over and do away with my pointless fears of embarrassment and rejection. After speaking to her about the sin of man, justice of God, and love of God in sending His Son to take our punishment, I think I finally realized something: "Awwww yeeeaaaaah ROMANS 1:16!" (look it up! :D). There could always be a sense of fear in sharing the gospel, but if it has actually changed our lives, WHY NOT share the good news? Praise God for using us imperfect people to preach His perfect Word and wonderful news! 

I was never good at writing conclusions...so I guess I just want to leave you with a quote by one of my favourite Christian musicians:

You hold the truth that saves so run and shout it to the world
They can't believe in something they ain't never heard
Go, go, go and run with those beautiful feet
-Lecrae

~ Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment